Friday, May 13, 2016

Sometimes, it's good to speak slowly . . .

I once sat next to an elderly gentleman at a symphony concert at the Koger Center in Columbia, South Carolina. We had a nice chat. He was very friendly, and his speaking manner was slow and clear. I left after the concert with the impression that he was someone important, maybe a retired college dean, or a company executive, or whatever. Actually, I had no idea who he was. I still don't. All I knew about him was the way he spoke. His manner of speech gave me the idea that he was influential and powerful.

One thing that I have often noted about many important people: U.S. presidents, corporate CEO's, university presidents--is that they do not talk too fast. Many of us chatter like chipmunks when we get behind a podium. That makes us sound breathless and insecure. People with power usually sound relaxed and confident. Now, one also does not want to speak too slowly, but, really, speakers who are too fast never seem to sound serious.

Good speakers do, of course, also vary their rate of speech: sometimes faster, sometimes slower. Variety helps the audience stay interested, but too much speed keeps people from sounding important.

No comments:

Post a Comment