Thursday, March 23, 2017

Mr. Rogers and the Arts: "What Do You Do with the Mad You Feel?"

In 1969, Fred Rogers ("Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood") spoke briefly to a congressional committee about how important it is for our nation to fund the arts. He commented:

"And this is what -- This is what I give. I give an expression of care every day to each child, to help him realize that he is unique. I end the program by saying, 'You've made this day a special day, by just your being you. There's no person in the whole world like you, and I like you, just the way you are.' And I feel that if we in public television can only make it clear that feelings are mentionable and manageable, we will have done a great service for mental health."

Continuing, he quoted his song, "What Do You Do with the Mad You Feel?" The song concludes:

"I can stop when I want to. Can stop when I wish. Can stop, stop, stop anytime....And what a good feeling to feel like this! And know that the feeling is really mine. Know that there's something deep inside that helps us become what we can. For a girl can be someday a lady, and a boy can be someday a man."

Good advice for anyone, is it not? Maybe today's politicians and political commentators could learn a lesson from Mr. Rogers.

No comments:

Post a Comment