Wednesday, April 26, 2017

USCA Scholars Showcase, Part 3

One last report from Scholars Showcase at USC Aiken. My student Grant Robinson gave an excellent oral presentation about the visionary work of Peter Diamandis. Grant's topic was, "Abundance in a World of Scarcity: The Vision of Peter Diamandis." Grant, who intends to pursue a business career, was fascinated by Diamandis' work on the concept of abundance: the idea that modern technology makes it possible for all of us to have what we need.

Grant L. Robinson at USCA Scholars Showcase
Grant's presentation, which he prepared and practiced thoroughly, explained Diamandis' ideas and put them in the context of the world's economic struggles. He spoke with enthusiasm and determination.

Wise business students understand that public speaking skills are essential to a business career. Grant's choice of a speech topic also shows his willingness to look at the bigger picture, which, I think, too few business people have been willing to do. I expect him to go far, and I expect that his speaking experience will help him throughout his career.

By the way, Grant got me interested enough in Diamandis' work that I plan to mention it in my own writing about political rhetoric. Most big-picture visionaries are actually crackpots, but Diamandis, idealist that he is, is saying something worthwhile.

See my earlier posts about Scholars Showcase here and here. Such wonderful students!

Photo by Elaine Clanton Harpine


No comments:

Post a Comment