Friday, November 25, 2016

The Family Thanksgving Speech: What Are You Thankful For?

The big speech ritual at Thanksgiving, just before the blessing and the turkey-carving, is for everyone at the table to give thanks for something.

"I'm thankful for my family."
"I'm thankful that we everyone is home."
"I'm thankful that I passed my math test."

Or whatever. These are actually brief epideictic speeches. That is, they display people's values, emotions, and sense of unity. Although these tiny speeches often fill the children with impatience ("Can we eat yet?"), they also help people to bond, to reflect, to affirm what is important to them. These are some of the most important reasons to give a speech.

For more about epideictic speeches, see:

Selena Gomez

4th of July Speeches

Should ceremonial speakers cause controversy (sure, why shouldn't they?)

No comments:

Post a Comment